[W3] Lab2 - First Pull Request

This week we had to create a pull request for other student's work done last week. 

I found Paul's project interesting, since he made his CLI tool with bash script. 

I looked into Paul's project and found that Paul's CLI only supported the "-v" argument so I decided to make it support "--version" as well. I also wanted to add add one more optional feature, which will add a command line flag to allow specifying a custom User Agent when doing the curl request. 


First, I opened an issue as follow:



and forked Paul's repo to my GitHub Account. 

Then I cloned it to my local machine and made some changes. The changes are as follow:


I also added how to use my new function in the README file.

I pushed the changes to GitHub and the "Compare & pull request" appeared on the repo


Finally, I created a pull request for Paul!


Final Thoughts

It was really confusing at first, however, now I think I have a good enough understanding how git and gitHub works. I made some mistakes during this lab, for instance, I forgot to stage a file for the first push, so I had to create a new branch and made a pull request again. Thankfully, I think it went well at last!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[W2] Release 0.1 - getting out of Tutorial Land

About Me

[W4] Lab 3